HOW TO MEASURE CUSTOM BOXES: A QUICK GUIDE
Whether you need to ship out an off-sized product or to revamp your existing packaging solutions, it is always important to have custom boxes with the correct dimensions. Correct measurements assure you that products will fit correctly, the box itself will fit inside any secondary packaging, and you pay for the right shipping cost. This alone can save your business thousands of dollars in lost revenue.
The easiest rule of thumb in measuring custom boxes is that all measurements are taken from interior dimensions. By always using interior measurements, you’re assured that all products will fit inside your box, regardless of how thick the material is. If you measure the exterior dimensions, you run the risk of items not fitting properly.
Another important thing to remember is that when we measure the dimensions of boxes, we go by length, width, and height. For example, one of the most common mailer box sizes is 9” x 7” x 3”. This means it’s 9 inches long, 7 inches wide, and 3 inches deep. Knowing this measurement informs you that anything within those dimensions can fit inside the custom box.
CUSTOM BOXES MADE TO MEASURE
Packola offers standard boxes in practically every conceivable size. Do you find the standard sizes a little bit too snug or roomy? We’ll create one for you that fits perfectly. If you don’t see the size you need, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-PACKOLA and we’ll build it for you.
All our custom boxes are measured the following way:
- Length – measured side to side
- Width – measured from back to front
- Depth – measured from top to bottom
BOX MEASURING AND SIZING TIPS
When measuring boxes, refer to this short step-by-step guide:
- Lay out the products on a flat surface. Simulate exactly how you want them placed inside a box.
- Once you're happy with the alignment and how it looks, measure the space it takes up.
- For off-sized items, start by measuring the widest part of product. This way, you’ll have an easier time envisioning how it looks inside a box.
- Measure the length from side to side.
- Next, measure the width from back to front.
- Get the depth from top to bottom.
- Finally, add an allowance of .25” (a quarter of an inch) to make the items easy to place and remove. This also gives you enough room for packaging supplies such as bubble wrap or packing peanuts.
More Custom Packaging Resources
Aside from housing your products, proper packaging also helps protect consumers. It’s not enough to look at packaging as simple transport containers. It must provide useful information, protection for your product, and be sustainable. Whether it’s food items, medicines, or hazardous chemicals, packaging guidelines and regulations are put in place to guarantee the safety of anyone who will be handling your packages. We’ve compiled a short list of helpful links to help ensure that your packages never encounter problems while in storage or transit.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology: Compliance FAQs: Packaging and Labeling in the US
- U.S. Department of Transportation: Getting Started with Shipping Hazmat
- Federal Aviation Administration: Packaging Your Dangerous Goods
- Federal Trade Commission: Fair Packaging and Labeling Act
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Sustainable Packaging
Packola – Your Partner in Custom Box Printing
Why choose Packola for your print packaging needs?
- No minimums – Whether you need a single sample box, a dozen to pilot your subscription package, or hundreds for your bustling e-commerce venture, we’re here to support your business. With Packola, you can order as few as one custom box or as many as 20,000 pieces. Need even more? Just let us know and we’ll arrange it for you.
- Sturdy materials – Choose from standard corrugated cardboard, premium corrugated cardboard, and brown kraft. These materials are extremely durable and built to last whether used as primary, secondary, or even tertiary packaging.
- Sustainably sourced – We believe in doing our part in helping the environment. Our cardboard materials are all sustainably-sourced and recyclable. Doing business with us also helps reduce your company’s carbon footprint.
Order Your Custom Boxes Now!